So it’s been a while since I’ve uploaded a post.
Why not kick it off with a set of instructions given to us in the book of James –
1. When you lack wisdom, ask God for His unfathomable depths of knowledge.
James 1:5 “If any of you lack wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.”
2. Pray with an unwavering faith.
Once you have prayed, don’t doubt it! Have faith in your faith in God. (if that makes sense)
James 1:6 “… he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.”
3. When you are being tempted, don’t blame it on God.
James 1:13-14 “When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desires, he is dragged away and enticed.”
4. Quick to listen, slow to speak, even slower to anger.
James 1:19-20 “… Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.”
5. Two words – Don’t Swear!
James 1:26-27 “If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless … keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”
6. Don’t show favouritism. (Yikes! Note to self.)
James 2:2-4 “Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?”
7. Be merciful.
James 2:13 “… judgement without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgement!”
8. Let your deeds define your faith. (serious one here guys!)
James 2:17-18 “… faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.”
James 2:24 “… a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.”
James 2:26 “As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.”
9. Think twice before you speak?
James 3:1 “… that we who teach will be judged more strictly.”
James 3:5-6 “… the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.”
James 3:8-10 “But no man can tame the tongue … With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing … this should not be.”
10. Pray with the right motives, and not with wrong intentions. (DUH!)
James 4:2-3 “… You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.”
11. Do your best, and leave the rest to God.
James 4:7-8,10 “Submit yourselves, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God, and He will come near to you … Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up.”
12. Don’t boast about tomorrow. We do not know what the future holds, but we know who holds our future.
James 4:14-15 “… you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”
13. Do the right thing in all situations!
James 4:17 “Anyone, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, he sins.”
14. Be patient, and don’t grumble.
James 5:8-9 “… be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near. Don’t grumble against each other, or you will be judged.”
15. Know that our Lord is so good!
James 5:11 “The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.”
16. Don’t swear by Heaven or Earth.
James 5:12 “… do not swear – not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your “Yes” be yes, and your “No,” no, or you will be condemned.”
17. Pray, pray and pray some more. In every situation, PRAY! It’s only a conversation with God after all. He’s waiting!
James 5:13 “Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.”
18. The elders of your church should be called to pray in time of need.
James 5:14-15 “Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.”
19. Confess your sins and pray! Be it for yourself or for loved ones or for others.
James 5:16 “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”
20. Talk to non-believers, and invite them to Christ. Those Christians who have been led astray, bring them back to Jesus!
James 5:19-20 “… if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.”